Best Albums of 2017

I found a lot of musical treasures in 2017. Here are my favorites:

PHOEBE BRIDGERS: Stranger In The Alps
I've played this song "Motion Sickness" more than any other in 2017. The vibe, lyrics, melody, production, arrangement, vocal performance, and even the video... a masterpiece.

PARAMORE: After Laughter
As an album-wide statement, nothing has delighted me more in 2017 than this.

JULIANA HATFIELD: Pussycat
I needed this concept album in 2017. Cathartic, harrowing, and therapeutic in Trump's America.


STYX: The Mission
Wow. One of the greatest Styx albums, almost 50 years into their career. So fun to listen to this album with my 13 year old son!


CHUCK PROPHET: Bobby Fuller Died For Your Sins
Song after song after song after excellent song. And all interesting and memorable!


AIMEE MANN: Mental Illness
Her album this year is an acoustic triumph.


BRUCE COCKBURN: Bone On Bone
He's as vital as ever at age 72. One of my primary heroes.


BECK: Colors
Pro-tools computer rock produced by the great Greg Kurstin.


LAU NAU: Poseidon
Dreamy and cinematic art-folk from Finland.

RYAN ADAMS: Prisoner
Unabashed '80s-inspired rock recorded to analog tape.

FILTHY FRIENDS: Invitation
Gen-X supergroup from a garage in Portland.

Comments

Popular Posts