"Best of the 20th Century" CD release show

Two nights ago was the CD release show for my new "Best of the 20th Century" album, and it was a lovely evening of loose and rocking sound and visuals at the Loring Playhouse in Minneapolis. This pic (thanks to photographer Micah Taylor) features all the musicians (l-r):
Scott Malchow (pedal steel); Lloyd Garrelts (electric guitar); John Kerns (bass); Michael Morris (acoustic guitar); Troy Alexander (drums); me!; Joel Setterholm (keyboards); John Simshauser (sax, pennywhistle). Behind us is a photo (of me with my little friend Katie) projected by video image artists Will Schroeer and Ryan Torma.

Here's an approximation of the setlist:

CONTINENTAL DIVIDE
THE PRINCESS...
LIBRARIAN
SMART GIRLS
+++Scott joins on pedal steel
MEETING NIXON
RIVERTOWN
+++Joel joins on keys
THE BASS GUITAR SONG
FRONT ROW AT THE FASHION SHOW
NOTHING OLD NOTHING NEW
JANESVILLE
CAUGHT UP IN YOUR SNARE (me solo)
+++Lloyd joins on guitar
TAPE
+++John joins on sax/whistle
ARMYMAN
ONLY IF
ASK ME IN NEBRASKA
THESE MONTHS WITH YOU
+++Michael joins on guitar
NO MORE WALLS

As mentioned in the previous blog entry, I did indeed lose my voice. I sounded REALLY hoarse, but I could force out actual notes. It was tough going, but I survived, and by the end of the show I may have even improved a bit. Thankfully, the band was so great and we were all having so much fun that nobody seemed to mind that I sang like Tom Waits with a mouth full of broken glass.

If that CD release show wasn't enough for one week, earlier this evening Kerns, Troy, and I played a killer electric trio set at the International Pop Overthrow Festival here in Minneapolis. Each band plays for 20 minutes, and we did a rockin' little set, loud and locked in. Our songs:
CONTINENTAL DIVIDE
SMART GIRLS
LIBRARIAN
THE SERIOUS KIND
TAPE

I don't have another gig for the next 8 days, so hopefully my voice will return to it's normal state of Nick Lachey-like vocal perfection. Time for bed.

By the way, right now shuffling on iTunes is "Pop Life" by Prince. A wonderful song, and a nice local tune to summarize my life. Thanks, neighbor.

Comments

Popular Posts